5 Ways to Prepare Your Teeth for the New Year
With a new year fast approaching, it’s time for a fresh start. Gone are all of the bad habits you exhibited in the past. The year 2018 is a time for new beginnings as well as better health and habits.
If you’ve not been one to care for your teeth as well as you should, that needs to change quick. You can easily adapt your daily routine to include your new oral hygiene habits. Caring for your teeth and gums helps prevent plaque from building up and tooth decay from destroying your pearly whites.
Here are five ways to prepare your teeth for the upcoming new year:
1. Schedule a routine exam with your dentist. Make sure that there aren’t any potential problems that could lead to tooth or gum loss. During the appointment, you’ll be made aware of any cavities you might have or broken teeth that need a root canal or to be pulled.
2. Follow your dental professional’s recommendation of care. If you do need additional care to restore your smile, you’ll want to schedule follow-up services before the condition worsens. The longer you wait, the worse the problem can get.
3. Brush and floss regularly. It prevents the build-up of plaque which can lead to tooth decay. Make it a point to carry a toothbrush with you and brush in the bathroom at work or school when no one is around. Keep the brush in a plastic container to prevent it from getting dirty and germy while it’s in your bag.
4. Eat foods that naturally whiten your smile. Some options you may not have considered that brighten your teeth include strawberries, apples, celery, carrots, and other crunchy fruits and vegetables. They naturally scrub the surface of the teeth the way a toothbrush does.
5. Protect your mouth while playing sports. You remember to protect your head while you’re engaging in physical activities. What about your mouth and teeth? Do you wear a mouth guard while you play sports? If you don’t, you’ll want to invest in one. It can prevent you from losing teeth or damaging the soft tissue of your mouth when injured.
Your smile is among the best features that you have. Let it be the star of 2018. By taking charge of your oral hygiene and dental health, you’ll have plenty to smile about going forward. A beautiful smile is an investment worth making in yourself.